Delivering brief remarks during the launch of the Programme at the Supreme Court in Accra,
the Chief Justice, His Lordship Justice Anin Yeboah, was of the firm belief that the Programme
would not affect the impartiality of Judges and Magistrates, but rather strengthen their
independence and ensure they administer justice efficiently, fairly, impartially and in
accordance with the dictates of the law.
“We have structured the Programme in a manner that would not interfere with the independence
of Judges and Magistrates in judicial decision making. Accordingly, although senior Judges are
going to serve as mentors for junior colleagues, whatever advice they offer upon request shall
be technical in nature and limited to explaining legal principles and directing the Judge to
relevant statutes, textbooks, decided cases and other legal materials without influencing
the conclusion a Judge decides to reach in the case assigned to him or her”, he said.
Justice Anin Yeboah was optimistic the Performance Review Programme which will serve as an
“internal quality assurance arrangement” would enhance the quality of justice delivered by the
courts and subsequently reduce the incidence of appeals, reviews and petitions.
For his part, His Lordship Justice Gabriel Pwamang, Justice of the Supreme Court and
Chairperson of the Judges’ and Magistrates’ Performance Review Programme, said the
Committee in developing the Programme, studied the practice in other jurisdictions and
learned from established principles of monitoring and evaluation used in mundane institutions.
Justice Pwamang explained that the Programme was “a needed and necessary step in ensuring
that Judges are held to the highest standards of conduct and performance, and that the justice
system serves the needs of the people it was designed to serve.”
The composition of the Committee which designed the Programme is as follows:
- His Lordship Justice Gabriel Pwamang - Justice of the Supreme Court and Chairperson
- His Lordship Justice Dennis Adjei - Justice of the Court of Appeal
- His Lordship Justice Anthony Oppong - Justice of the Court of Appeal
- Her Ladyship Justice Angelina Mensah Homiah - Justice of the Court of Appeal
- Her Ladyship Justice Cynthia Pamela A. Addo - Judicial Secretary
- Her Ladyship Justice Afia Serwaa Asare Botwe – Justice of the Court of Appeal
- Anthony Forson – Immediate Past National President of the Ghana Bar Association and
- Frederick Baidoo – Director of Human Resource, Judicial Service of Ghana.