His Excellency President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo giving his remarks
He gave this admonition after administering the Oath of Allegiance, Judicial Oath and Oath of Secrecy to the twelve (12)
men and nine (9) women Justices during their Swearing-In, at the Jubilee House in Accra.
President Akufo Addo reiterated the critical role the High Court plays in the judicial structure and why it is important
Judges give decisions and judgments which are properly grounded in law.
“The High Court is the focal point for justice delivery in the judicial structure as much of judicial work begins and ends there.
It is therefore critical for the growth of our nation that the High Court commands the respect of the people by the quality
of its decisions as well as by the comportment of its Judges, he said.
He also described as unacceptable “the situation where Judges proffered judgments on the basis of decisions from
lower courts and cite them as law and even less so when Judges cite no authority at all for their rulings and give order without reasons”.
His Excellency President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo -Addo swearing-in the Justices
The President was hopeful that the newly sworn-in Justices who he described as having “the impartiality of mind and independence
of spirit necessary to hold the high office” would live up to expectation by dispensing justice without fear or favour, affection or ill-will.
His Lordship Justice Kwame Polley giving his response on behalf of his colleagues
His Lordship Justice Kwame Polley, speaking on behalf of his colleagues, expressed profound gratitude to the President for the
honour done them as well as the confidence reposed in them and promised to execute their mandate as required by the Constitution.
Justices of the Supreme Court in attendance
Present at the ceremony were the Chief Justice, His Lordship Justice Anin Yeboah, some Justices of the Superior Courts,
Attorney–General and Minister for Justice, Members of the Judicial Council, the Judicial Secretary, senior government
officials at the Presidency, President of the Ghana Bar Association, members of the Bar Council and other guests.
His Excellency President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo -Addo, Chief Justice, His Lordship Justice Anin Yeboah,
Attorney–General and Minister for Justice in a group photo with the newly sworn-in Justices
List of Newly Sworn-In Justices of the High Court
- His Lordship Justice Kwame Polley
- His Lordship William Appiah Twumasi
- His Lordship Baah Forson Agyapong
- Her Ladyship Marian Affoh
- His Lordship Nana Brew
- Her Ladyship Abena Amponsah Buansi
- Her Ladyship Ellen Lordina Serwaa Mireku
- Her Ladyship Priscilla Dapaah Mireku
- His Lordship Alexander Oworae
- Her Ladyship Joyce Boahen
- His Lordship Edward Twum
- Her Ladyship Gwendolyn Millicent Owusu
- Her Ladyship Rosemary Baah Tosu
- His Lordship Frederick Kwabena Twumasi
- Her Ladyship Adelaide Abui Keddey
- His Lordship Karry Acheampong Opoku
- His Lordship Kenneth Edem Kudjordjie
- His Lordship John Mark Nuku Alifo
- His Lordship Kwesi Adjenim Boateng
- His Lordship George Aikins Ampiah Bonney
- Her Ladyship Marie Louise Simmons